Camp Canoe Instructor Course
June 2, 3 & 4, 2017
(3 days – 100% attendance required)
The purpose of the Camp Canoeing Instructor (CCI) Course is to provide a provincial certification of competence in the instruction and administration of the ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Courses and Safe Canoeing Program.
The Camp Canoeing Instructor Course will be confined to the waterfront of the OCA member youth camp(s).
- At least 16 years of age
- Be employed by or attending an OCA member youth camp.
- ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1-4 skills
- or comparable skills and experience -with the permission of the Course Director: Judy Kirkwood
- in addition, some qualification in Swimming, First Aid and CPR is strongly recommended
Itinerary: This is a demanding, yet rewarding 24 hour course:
- ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1-2-3-4 tandem and solo Certification
- Canoe Theory
- Share knowledge and resources
- Learning /Instructing theories and strategies
- Gain confidence instructing in many different situations
- Practice skills sessions build into the 3 day / 24 hour course
As a Camp Canoe Instructor, the successful candidate will be qualified to:
- Instruct ORCKA Basic Levels 1-2-3 courses at an OCA youth camp while confined to the OCA camp waterfront and the camp will provide “lifeguard supervision” during the on or near water activities.
- Assist at an ORCKA Safe Canoeing Program.
- A Camp Canoeing Instructor is expected to promote the development of safe, competent and knowledgeable recreational paddling and to promote the development of the ORCKA Basic Canoeing Program.
Cost: $475 +HST
– includes canoe, safety equipment, ORCKA Canoeing Program Manual, one year ORCKA Camp Canoe Instructor Membership
Fee does not include lodging, food, pfd, paddles
- If you supply canoe – fee will be reduced to $425 +HST